Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Woman on a Mission

Over the last couple of years, I have written only sporadically in this blog.  By sporadically, I mean 17 posts in 2-3 FIVE years. Yikes!  Where did the time go?! I have never written with any sort of specific focus, but I'm hoping to change that.  Why, you ask? Because I'm a woman on a mission.

Ultimately, my long-term mission is to get to a healthy weight and live a healthy, active lifestyle.  Through the years I have made some pretty successful attempts at losing weight. I've never reached my healthy weight, but from 2009-2010, I lost about 40 pounds and had a serious exercise habit going on!  This, my husband often reminds me, is proof-positive that I can do this.

Let me share with you my goals, both short- and long-term:
- Long-term: lose approximately 80 pounds to reach my "healthy weight." This number may change as I get closer to my goal, since a healthy weight is usually a range, not a set number, in my opinion.
- Short-term: lose 30 pounds by November. This is roughly 2 pounds per week, which I've never attempted before.

Along with these goals, I also am aiming to develop (or re-develop) healthier habits, such as tracking my food daily (using the LoseIt! app), drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day (generally tracked via post-it note on my desk, on the days I work), and increasing my intake of fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, while decreasing my intake of sugar and highly processed foods.

I consider these to be fairly well-rounded goals, however I do know that this will be a long and often difficult road.  Getting into an exercise habit was more simple before I had a baby.  Even then I had difficulty creating the habit, but I know that this time around, I'm really fighting an uphill battle against the circumstances and my own free will (generally, I'm much more willing to sit on the couch than work out!).

In the next post(s) I'll chronicle the road I have traveled to get myself to where I am today.  Feel free to come along for the ride, and of course I welcome any and all encouragement you have to offer!  In this journey, it's helpful to know that one is not alone.

I am a woman on a mission.

No comments: